SCRAP accepts donations of clean, reusable materials
Tuesday through Saturday from 10 AM to 4 PM.
Save on disposal costs, contribute to the community, and help SCRAP divert over 250 tons of materials “too good to throw away” from landfills every year. Because of your donations, SCRAP is able to supply useful materials to school teachers, nonprofits, parents, artists and others.
Cleaning out your closets, workspace, or kids rooms? Just threw a party? Accumulating too many projects that you’ll get around to someday?
SCRAP can take those leftover materials that seem “too good to throw away,” but that you no longer need.
Do you have remnants, damaged items, mill-ends, blanks or off-cuts that might be re-purposed? Holding on to outdated letterhead, display, packaging, signage, or promotional items? Cleaning out your warehouse or material library?
Save money on disposal costs and get a tax-deduction for your material donations. SCRAP can take clean and usable materials that might otherwise be thrown-away.
Want to spread the ethos of REUSE at your office? Organize a SCRAP drive at your office. SCRAP can provide signage, messaging, and free pick-up. Contact us at SCRAP (at) scrap-sf.org.
Examples of materials SCRAP accepts are:
- Art supplies (markers, paints, brushes, stamps, canvas, papers)
- Paper (leftover letterhead, trimmed edges, mat board, foam core, fancy boxes)
- Textiles (fabric, yarn, samples, leather, millends, patterns)
- Signage and promotional items (used banners, foam core, flags, products)
- Buttons, beads, wire and notions
- Natural materials (feathers, pinecones, candles, wax)
- Architectural & interior samples (NO glued or riveted sample books)
- Teaching materials and toys (No text books – contact RecycleTextbooks.org)
- Surplus, off-cuts, defects, remnants from manufacturing
- Lab glass and plastics
- Toys in playable condition
SCRAP is currently unable to accept:
- Hanging file folders
- Binders greater than 3″ thick
SCRAP NERVER can accept:
- Hazardous, toxic, or poisonous materials of ANY type
- Matches, firecrackers, combustibles, or any type of flammable liquids
- Materials containing lead
- Refrigerators or freezers
- Air conditioners
- Building materials that are larger than 36″ x 36″ or can’t be lifted with one hand.
- Electronic and computer equipment
- Clothing, except for theatrical or Halloween costumes
- Books or magazines (except for National Geographic)
- Large items
- Wire coat hangers
- Trash, dirty materials, cloth smaller than 12″ x 12″
If we can’t take your donation we will do our best to refer to you to an organization that can. We suggest checking out RecycleWhere.org for a guide to places that take things SCRAP can not.
How to Donate Material
Donations are accepted at SCRAP 10 AM to 4 PM Tuesday through Saturday, ONLY.
- Check the detailed list of items we accept. Because of space constraints, we cannot always accept all items. SCRAP reserves the right to refuse donations even if they have been approved unseen via the phone or email. Call us at 415 647-1746 or email us at donate (at) scrap-sf.org for more information.
- Organize your materials. SCRAP cannot accept dirty or moldy materials. Our staff spends a lot of time sorting – we greatly appreciate labeled and neatly packed boxes.
- SCRAP can pick up your donation by appointment. within ten miles of SCRAP, there no charge for this service. However, we appreciate your voluntary donation of $15 for individuals, $50 for businesses. If you are further away, there will be a nominal fee for a pickup, to cover our added costs.
To arrange for a pick-up, please call SCRAP at 415 647-1746 between 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM and speak to our staff.
- Please be sure your donation is easily accessible. Our drivers are unable to move large items and are not permitted to clean up or organize donations that are not ready when they arrive.
- Thank you! SCRAP relies on your generous donations to supply teachers, students and artists year round.